Whether you are a pro fisher, an expert or a beginner, you begin to understand the importance of a fish finder right after you start. But, here is a little tip: if you are just starting out and are new to fishing, you do not have to buy the high-end and expensive fish finders! Chances are you will not be fishing under harsh conditions or rough terrains like the pros, so why bother, really?
Instead, go for something that can take the wear and tear of a naive learner, something that is affordable but still generous in term of performance. Something just like the Lowrance 000-12635-001 fish finder!
Let me first and foremost start off by saying that the Lowrance 000-12635-001 fish finder is not a portable fishing gadget. It measures 3.8 x 1.9 x 6.5 inches in dimensions which is clearly not large, but not compact or tiny either. It weighs just 2 pounds or a kilo making it just heavy and stable enough to be placed on flat surfaces.
As for mounting, the Lowrance 000-12635-001 fish finder comes with tilt and swivel bracket. The finder has a flat base so settling this guy onto a flat surface is a must. The great thing about this fish finder is that its viewing angle is adjustable, making sure you get the most optimum screen viewing.
It is true: Lowrance 000-12635-001 fish finder does not have the best display features, but when you consider what value you are getting for the money, you will be blown away. The Lowrance 000-12635-001 fish finder is probably one of the very rare fish finders that come with a color display for the price.
The Lowrance 000-12635-001 fish finder has a 3 by 8 inch display screen with a detailed 320 x 240 resolution and an 11 level LED back-lighting. One other thing you will really appreciate about its display is that is has been specially designed to give you the widest angles and remain just as visible under bright sunlight.
In the world of fish finders, frequencies matter. Frequency is the intensity with which stimulation is released into the waters. The feedback we get from the reciprocal frequencies is what helps us detect the objects under water.
And It surprises me how a fish finder so ridiculously affordable and go on to offer dual beams! One with a frequency of 83 KHz and one with 200 KHz. The 83 kHz provides up to 60 degrees of conical coverage. It is great for a more wide span and larger area coverage. The 200 KHz provides up to 20 degrees of conical coverage and is more suited for strict and refined policing of the area. The frequencies will also detect the bottom contour, depth and a few other keys and display it on your screen.
Some Special Features
The Lowrance 000-12635-001 fish finder is not necessarily packed with features to the brim, but whatever features it offers will get the job done more than well. Here are a few of its features that are worth mentioning:
- The keys on the monitor lets you zoom in on your prey for a more up-close and personal look. You can zoom up to 4 times!
- The Power button serves a dual purpose. It lets you adjust the back-light to make it more suitable for day and night time use.
- The Lowrance 000-12635-001 fish finder uses a patented Skimmer® transducer with built-in water temperature sensor that can track bottom up to 75 mph.
- Fish Identification of fish ID shows an icon of the species on the display screen that has been detected by the finder
- Includes feature like fish and strike alarm that goes off and alerts you anytime there is a fish under your nose.
For your hard-earned money, you always want a value for money product that gets the job done beautifully. But things don’t always go as planned.
The Lowrance 000-12635-001 fish finder also offers a yearlong limited warranty that gives you the much-needed reassurance and security that gadgets like these require. This device is also supported by Lowrance advantage service program. We talked about it a bit in our complete fish finder guide.
- The Lowrance 000-12635-001 fish finder is a great fish finder for beginners or buyers with a small budget; it is very affordable
- It is one of the few fish finders that offer a color display for the price
- Specially designed screen ensure excellent viewing even under sunlight
- Comes with an easy install and quick release mounting bracket
- Offers dual frequency scanning
- Offers a yearlong warranty
- Not portable or compact
- Can’t be used for onshore fishing; you must a boat, kayak or any other vessel place the transducer on
- Does not mark fishes too clearly
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about the Lowrance 000-12635-001 fish finder
- Is the Lowrance 000-12635-001 fish finder waterproof?
Answer: Great question. Because the Lowrance 000-12635-001 fish finder is expected to work in much aquatic terrains, it has been designed to be waterproof to combat damages from moisture, water, humidity, etc. It is rated IPX7 which means it is waterproof for 30 minutes or less in under than 1 meter of depth.
- How are the fishes denoted on the display screen?
Answer: the fishes are denoted as small fishes, but you can also change it to small arched curves.
The Lowrance 000-12635-001 fish finder is a great fish finder to have in your repertoire, but I have quite the mixed feeling about it. It is a high quality and high performance piece of fishing gadget, undoubtedly; something I’d recommend over and over again for beginners and for people who are in budget. But considering how some of flaws, like the unclear fish marking and the fact that you’d need a boat to use, is a deal-breaker for me. If I’m buying a fish finder, I expect it to serve its dire purpose of fish spotting immaculately at least! So, if you are a perfectionist fisher, I’d steer away from this one.